Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Farewell Tour

Believe it or not - the time has nearly come. Less than 24 hours from now I’ll be boarding a plane bound for a new world of experiences beyond my imagination. My bags are packed, my funds have been raised (although more donations are always welcome), my training is done, and Praise be to God the visas have been received.

For about six months, the vast majority of my life has been focused on preparing solely and devotedly for this mission. The clock has ticked down before my eyes and at the close of what I can only call an incredible summer, I find myself standing at this rather odd threshold.

To those who’ve asked, I’ve compared it to the run-ups to my undergrad and seminary graduations, where there’s this big huge crazy date steadily approaching and all of a sudden you’re looking it right in the face. (I imagine big dates like getting married and having a baby are a little bit like that too).

So for the last few weeks, in a somewhat deliberate path, I’ve been on more planes, trains and automobiles than I can count, traveling to cities all over the eastern half of this country, spending a little more time with people I know and love from so many stretches of life. Since my last post I’ve been in Chicago, Gary Indiana, Indianapolis, Miami/Fort Lauderdale, Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland, Baltimore, Washington DC, New York, New Haven CT and a few others along the way, on what my family has taken to calling my “farewell tour”.






While I can think of at least 10 more cities I would’ve liked to visit, (sadly I couldn’t squeeze in trips to my loved ones in California, Texas, Massachusetts, North Carolina and others), at least I’ve been to a majority of the places I’ve lived in and seen a lot of the folks I know and love across this beautiful land of ours.


This morning my fabulous mission partner Paola  asked me how I’m feeling before we jet off to Italy together, and I said “I know!!! I guess I feel ready for it! Nervous & excited, but I don't wish we were staying here any longer.” It’s true. I’m as they say, ready as I’m ever going to be, and staying here longer would sort of just feel like stalling. So America, it’s been a blast! Pray for me and I’ll let you know when we arrive in the Eternal City! Buon Viaggio!

No comments:

Post a Comment