Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Summer of Wonder - Preparation Part 1

In the nearly five months since I accepted the invitation from by beloved Episcopal Church to take on this extraordinary journey, a whole lot has changed. In what feels these days like more or less a blur, so much seems to have gone by.

On April 27th I happened to be on a pilgrimage in Israel with members of my home congregation, when I reached into my pocket to check an email on my phone. I was shocked to find an email from YASC notifying me of their plans to send me as a missionary to…**drumroll please….** Italy??

At first I was admittedly reticent and more than a little bit shocked. Italy, I thought, is surely too first-world, too glitzy, too stereotypically bourgeois to be a twenty-something ivy-leaguer traipsing around Europe for a year. I’d expected to be sent somewhere in Africa, or Latin America perhaps – places I much more associated with missionaries than a city revered by elites for about three thousand years.

But when I noticed the assignment – working with refugees in the city – my mind gradually began to change. In conversations with my bishop, my family, my future supervisor and others who know me and St. Paul’s Within the Walls well, the verdict was unanimous.

And so I embarked on what would be a summer of preparation – a busy four months of fundraising, traveling, visa applications, preaching, church events and oh yeah…. Graduating from seminary!

On May 18th I woke up, got dressed, walked from my apartment to the Yale Divinity School quad as I had done more than a thousand times before. Except that on that particular Monday I walked across a stage, dressed in a mortarboard and robe, and received my master’s degree with almost two hundred classmates.

Making the weekend even more significant, my mother received her doctorate two days earlier and two of my cousins received their master’s degrees in the same weekend as well. A very special occasion for a truly blessed and well-educated family! The following Sunday the four graduates and dozens of our loved ones celebrated our accomplishments together at a splendid party in our family’s hometown – Louisville KY.

The next day marked the launching point for the fundraising effort that would consume most of my summer. I painstakingly drafted the first version of a letter I would send more than one thousand times over the next several months. They went out to fellow church members, family, friends and acquaintances in cities across the country. Taking care to personalize each one, I signed, folded, labeled, sealed, stamped and mailed every one of them.

Week by week I sent more and more letters detailing my mission, the costs and making an earnest heartfelt request for support. Wonderfully people have been extraordinarily supportive and generous in supporting this effort.

 A view from my desk: Lots of letters!


From May 17th through mid-July, I was blessed to do a remarkable amount of traveling throughout the country preaching at many of the congregations that I have grown to love over the years. I’ve posted the videos from those sermons earlier on this blog, but I’m compelled to mention how absolutely honored I was to share the Gospel with the good people of St. Luke’s New Haven, St. James’ Cincinnati, St. Augustine’s Gary IN, Christ Church Cathedral Cincinnati, and St. James’ Baltimore. For a young not-yet-ordained preacher to have so many opportunities to preach in so many places is a truly rare pleasure.

Although my preaching engagements were not designed at all for the purposes of fundraising, at almost every stop the rectors would announce my plans as a missionary and invite me to ask the congregation to contribute. I was honored to oblige, and the congregations were largely happy to support as well.

From June 23rd to July 3rd, I was fortunate to attend my first General Convention as a young adult fellow of the Episcopal Peace Fellowship. I won’t discuss it in much detail here as I’ve written an entirely different blog about the Convention here. Suffice to say that witnessing the election of Bishop Michael Curry (my former childhood rector) and the affirmation of same-sex marriage was an experience I will never forget. On top of it all, I got to meet my new supervisor Austin, my predecessor YASCer Will, and Bishop of Europe Pierre Whalon at the convention in Salt Lake! What a way to prepare for this incredible journey to come!

(Part 2 of this post will be published here shortly)



No comments:

Post a Comment